We have one computer at work that I couldn’t send a Remote Assistance request to and whenever I try to query it using WMI and PowerShell I get the following error message:
Get-WmiObject : Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
The problem turned out to be DCOM. For some reason it got disabled.
To change its settings, do the following:
- Go to Start -> Run, type in dcomcnfg.
- Go to Component Services -> Computers.
- Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
- Go to the Default Properties tab.
- Make sure that Enable Distributed COM on this computer is checked.
- Compare the settings to a computer that is working properly and make the necessary changes. Compare the settings for the COM Security tab as well.
- Reboot the computer and try it again.
Credit goes to this website where I found this solution.